EDUCATION FROM 1984 to 2015
- Psy.D., Ryokan College, Los Angeles, 2015
- M.A., Counseling Psychology, National University, San Diego, 1994, “With Distinction”
- B.A., Behavioral Science, National University, San Diego, 1987, Magna cum Laude
- A.A., General Subjects, National University, San Diego, 1984
For over 21 years Dr. Smith has people from all walks of life to connect with their spirituality, healing intuitions, philosophy and framework of life. His practice was built on the heels of a 15 year career in the US Marine Corps, working to design and coordinate highly complex war games for troops. For two years he worked as an education enhancement consultant for the U.S Naval Training Command. Throughout his military service he became highly-trained in reading and evaluating brain images (SPECT Scans), a skill that he uses today in assisting his clients with severe PTSD and other complicated issues. The many years of military service and specialty-training prepared the ground for his practice as a Licensed Therapist as he will bring a unique real-world perspective to your issues. He has seen it all from mild to the most severe cases, and regardless of your condition, he can and will find ways to help.
Here are a few other career highlights:
- 10 Years as Performance Enhancement Coach/Teacher for High-End Athletes & Professionals
- 2 Years Counseling at Family Health Clinic Reaching Military Families in North County San Diego
- 1 Year Counseling in Locked Military Mental Health Facility
- 3 Years Teaching Psychology Courses as College Professor
- 3 Years Serving on Regional Leadership Committee for EMDRIA
- 2 Years Serving on the Board of Directors for the Recovery Assistants Foundation
- 1 Year Technical Advisor on T.V. series “Pensacola Wings of Gold”
- 2 Years Serving on the Board of Directors for the Better Men Organization
- Founder & Director of the Strategic Recovery Institute
- 7 Years as Public Speaker
Private Psychotherapy Practice – Vista, CA (Nov. 1994 – present) See addendum for specializations.
L-3 Titan – San Diego, CA (Feb. 1999 – Sep. 2010) Significant Project Consultant / Modeling & Simulation.
Planned, designed, executed and analyzed tactical level training scenarios for major U.S. military commands.
United States Marine Corps – San Diego, CA (Jun 1980 – Feb 2002) Infantryman, Scout Sniper & Aviator.
MFT Staff Counselor (Concurrent with Military Service and Defense Contracting)
North Coast Church, Vista, CA (May 1999 – Jan. 2004)
Formalized diagnosis, treatment plans, interventions, communications architecture, and testing requirements. Supported Senior Pastoral Staff in decision-making regarding the resolution of the presenting issues from the members of the church with a minimum expenditure of resources.
Center for Family Counseling, Carlsbad, CA (Sep. 95 – Nov. 99)
Completed hours required for licensing using multi-axial diagnostic and treatment approach based in Cognitive-Behavioral theory and practice Developed skills in writing treatment plans and reports and forming accurate diagnostic impressions. Developed foundation for building and modifying communication techniques in families.
Mental Health Ward, Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, CA (Oct. 93 – Sep. 95)
Provided group and individual counseling to in-patients with severe psychosis, mood disorders and substance abuse. Diagnosed and treated full range of mental health disorders with adjunctive treatment of medication management from hospital staff.
Park College, St. Louis, MO (Oct. 92 – Oct. 94)
Taught introductory level psychology courses to Active Duty members of the Armed Forces.
Dr. Jeffrey Smith lives in Oceanside, CA., spending his time with his family, four kids and one grandchild. He is also passionate about personal fitness, health and enjoys extreme sports of all kinds.
Complex PTSD Counseling Soccer fields Oceanside